Re: User-Hostile Text Editing (was: Unicode String Models)

From: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode_at_inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 08:59:13 +0100

On 2012-07-21, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Are there any widely available ways of enabling the deleting of the
> first character in a default grapheme cluster? Having carefully added
> two or more marks to a base character, I find it extremely irritating
> to find I have entered the wrong base character and have to type the
> whole thing again. As one can delete the last character in a cluster,
> why not the first? It's not as though the default grapheme cluster is
> usually thought of as a single character.

What do you mean by widely available?
A decent editor should let you choose whether to break apart clusters
or not. I presume that such editors exist! (Mine always breaks
clusters, but that's because I'm the only user, and I don't care
enough to implement clustering;-) Yudit might be one, but since it
seems to have no documentation, I can't tell.
If yours doesn't, then get on to its authors!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.