Re: User-Hostile Text Editing

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 10:03:04 +0100

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 00:25:07 +0000
Murray Sargent <murrays_at_exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'd think deleting the first character of a cluster would make a nice
> context-menu option. For example, when you right-click on a cluster,
> the resulting context menu could have an entry like "delete first
> character". Maybe other such options could be added as well.

I was thinking of simplifying, rather than adding features. One could
imagine a whole cluster-editing pop-up, but in the end it might not
make editing any easier. Mind you, when consonant stacks are treated as
grapheme clusters, it might be useful - Tibetan can have some fairly
large legacy grapheme clusters, and if one tailors aksharas to be
grapheme clusters one can get some monsters in the Tai Tham
script - <NA, SAKOT, HIGH TA, MEDIAL RA, AA, SAKOT, LOW YA> (visually
the base consonant is the ligature <NA, AA>, with dependent consonants
arrayed around it) and <HIGH HA, SAKOT, NA, E, OA BELOW, I, TONE-1,
SAKOT, LOW YA> spring to mind.

Richard.