Re: Searching data: map countries to scripts

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:08:14 -0600

Leif Halvard Silli wrote (quoting Jony and Robert):

>>> I can state that for Israel the scripts in common use are Hebrew,
>>> Latin (mainly for English but also for several other languages),
>>> Arabic and Cyrillic.
>>
>> I do believe that Israel and Palestine (the Gaza Strip and West Bank
>> areas) also use the Greek alphabet, because there are several Eastern
>> Greek Orthodox assemblies there. Thank You!
>
> Right. And Armenian, Ethiopian, Coptic - and perhaps others scripts -
> should be represented there as well. :-D

And this is exactly where the nail, the jelly, and the tree come
together. Where does one draw the line? If one person in Israel speaks
Divehi and writes it in Thaana, does that count? How about five people,
or twenty? Are we trying to collect all scripts used anywhere in the
country, or just those in "common" use, and what does that mean?

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­