Re: Mayan numerals

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:21:37 +0100

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 23:30:49 +0100
Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2012, at 22:48, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> > • We will have guessed wrong on the metadata, and the
> > decision is made that a retroactive fix is the best solution, given
> > that it (say) impacts only documents which mix Mongolian with Mayan
> > numerals.

> I don't know what you think a "retroactive fix" is but it is unlikely
> that any "informative" as opposed to "normative" fix would be
> possible.

The immutable properties are:
(i) name
(ii) aliases (more can be added, but they cannot be removed)
(iii) decomposition mapping
(iv) canonical combining class
(v) case folding
(vi) case pairing (i.e. pairs and non-pairs of assigend characters
remain such).

Only (i) and (iv) seem plausible causes of problems. A canonical
combining class of zero seems to be the preferred option for script
encoding nowadays.

Combining rules may have to be extended - that might be counted as an
informative fix.

> > • We will have guessed wrong on the metadata, but anyway
> > need to encode multiple versions of the number glyphs, so having
> > used up 20 codepoints for modern users of the Mayan numerals is no
> > big loss.

> We are not supposed to encode duplicate characters.

We do where the properties necessitate, e.g. U+0241 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER
GLOTTAL STOP and U+0294 LATIN LETTER GLOTTAL STOP, or the NEW TAI LUE
and TAI THAM scripts. We also have the principal of the separation of
scripts.

Richard.