Re: Compiling a list of Semitic transliteration characters

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 14:58:47 -0700

>> I assume you mean "Romanization," when you say "transliteration."
> Well, isn't "Romanization" a special case of "transliteration"?

Sometimes a transliteration-transcription distinction is made, raising
the question of whether "transcription" is a hypernym of
"transliteration" and "non-transliterating 'transcription'" (perhaps
Wiki will help sort out usage some day, like it so often does). In any
case, if this distinction is made, a romanization is not necessarily a
transliteration (in the sense of there being a 1-to-1 mapping between
word forms in the two scripts). And if this distinction is not made,
people are likely to use the word "transcription" instead, is my impression.

Stephan