Character set cluelessness

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 09:14:08 -0700

The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) has released a
new version of UN/LOCODE, and their Secretariat Note document is just as
clueless as ever about character set usage in international standards:

"Place names in UN/LOCODE are given in their national language versions
as expressed in the Roman alphabet using the 26 characters of the
character set adopted for international trade data interchange, with
diacritic signs, when practicable (cf. Paragraph 3.2.2 [sic; should be
3.3.2] of the UN/LOCODE Manual). International ISO Standard character
sets are laid down in ISO 8859-1 (1987) and ISO10646-1 (1993). (The
standard United States character set (437), which conforms to these ISO
standards, is also widely used in trade data interchange)."

It's 2012. How does one get through to folks like this? I tried writing
to them a few years ago, but I don't think they were impressed by an
individual contribution.

http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/welcome.html

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA