Re: The term "complex script" in OOXML spec (Re: [unicode] Re: Character set cluelessness)

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 22:20:46 +0100

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:46:57 +0900
suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki_at_hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Dear Richard,
>
> There had been long discussion about OOXML's "complex script" in
> JTC1/SC34, since 2009.
> https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2009/DR-09-0040.docx?cid=c8ba0861dc5e4adc&sc=documents
> I expect the next corrigendum or amendment will describe more about
> it. Unfortunately, the implementation referred by "complex script"
> would be different what Unicode experts remind from this word.

Three versions of 'ambiguous East Asian width'! I trust these have
been checked against Microsoft Word.

I note that, amongst others, the characters of the Thai, New Tai Lue
block, and the supplementary planes do not get categorised - if the
final table Word table (dated 2012-03-21) be correct. However, it
does seems startling that there are no characters that are 'complex
script' in Word! I had been about to ask if certain assigned characters
have undefined rendering, but it seems highly unlikely that that should
be the case for Thai. (Of course, it may be that Thai characters
always occur in Word WordprocessingML runs with the <w:cs/> property.)

Richard.