texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:58:55 -0700

 Dear all,

In your experience, what are the best (plaintext) texteditors or word
processors for Linux / Mac OS X / Windows that have the ability to *save* in
many different encodings?

 This question is more specific than asking which editors have the best
knowledge of conversion tables for codepages (incl their different
versions), which I'm interested in as well. There are a number of programs
that appear to be able to *read* many different encodings – though I prefer
the type that actually tells me about where format errors are when a file
is loaded. Then, many editors that claim to be able to read all those
encodings cannot *display* them; as for that, I don't care about font
choice and the aesthetics of display, as I'm only interested in plaintext.

Some things I have seen that are no good:

   - the editor not telling me about the encoding and line breaks it has
   detected and not letting me choose
   - the editor displaying a BOM in hex mode even if there is none (a
   version of UltraEdit I worked with at some point)

 Stephan