Re: texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 21:08:25 -0600

Stephan Stiller wrote:

> In your experience, what are the best (plaintext) texteditors or word
> processors for Linux / Mac OS X / Windows that have the ability to
> save in many different encodings?

This is for Windows:

After many years of frustrated searching and switching, I've settled on
Andrew West's BabelPad as the best editor that is an expert on all
things Unicode, and Notepad++ as the otherwise-best editor (at least for
the price :).

Both load files in a variety of encodings. NPP will save in any of them,
while BP saves to Unicode encodings only. Both are very aware of BOMs.
NPP allows you to convert line-ending style at any time; BP allows this
at save time. I don't know how well either one handles a file with a
mixture of LF and CRLF.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­