Re: Some QR codes each encoding one Unicode character

From: Curtis Clark <lists_at_curtisclark.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 08:07:48 -0700

On 2012-10-08 6:09 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:
> The idea is that hopefully in the future these QR codes could be scanned using a mobile telephone that has a QR reader and a suitable app so as to build up a sequence of Unicode characters, such as a telephone number, without the user needing to be able to push buttons. This could potentially be useful to some people with some disabilities. Perhaps it could also be useful to a person trying to amke a telephone call from a mobile telephone in cold weather where he or she would prefer not to need to remove his or her gloves to make the call.

Inasmuch as QR codes are already able to encode telephone numbers (at
least in the US, and I have assumed in the rest of the world as well), I
don't see any utility in this, since it would force the user to scan the
codes in sequence. whereas a QR code containing a full number would only
need to be scanned once, and in at least some phones and software, the
scan would initiate dialing.

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4140