Re: problem with combining diacritcs in HTML5

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 21:26:43 +0300

2012-10-08 20:47, Andreas Prilop wrote:

>> I found some DejaVu bug reports where a developer called
>> Ben Laenen suggests the nonzero advance width is intentional
>
> I wonder why. Other combining marks in DejaVu Sans Mono
> do not have such a problem; see
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/combining-marks.html
>
> Especially the overline U+0305 works OK. Why not the underline?

Does it? Your test page is interesting, but is postulates the use of
style sheet switching, which is really supported by Firefox only, if I
am not mistaken.

But you’re right, at least in the sene that
foo&#305;bar
works OK in browsers, whereas
foo&#x332;bar
only works on Firefox; on other browsers, the underline is rendered as a
separate character.

For comparison, in Microsoft Office 2007 Word, foo332 Alt X places an
underline below the *first* “o”.

Yucca