Re: problem with combining diacritcs in HTML5

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 23:46:36 +0300

2012-10-08 21:49, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>>> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/combining-marks.html
>>
>> Your test page is interesting, but is postulates the use
>> of style sheet switching,
>
> You are always free to define your preferred font family
> in your browser’s preferences, no? You may even choose a
> font family that I did not mention on my page. ;-)

Right (well, in most cases).

>> which is really supported by Firefox only, if I am not mistaken.
>
> Internet Explorer 8 and Opera, too. I remind you of
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=j1tc00$u5v$1%40dont-email.me

I stand corrected.

The situation is even more puzzling, since glyphs like uni0305 have a
positive advance width (like 1233 units) in DejaVu Sans Mono, but
browsers still seem to get things right with it. Microsoft Office 2007
Word does not: when I set the font to DejaVu Sans Mono and enter

foo305 Alt X bar

I get fōo (i.e. with the line above a wrong character) first, and then
the b of bar overprints the second o.

Yet, web browsers, even IE 9, seem to get things right here.

Yucca