Re: texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:36:17 +0300

2012-10-16 13:06, Christopher Fynn wrote:

> On Windows I use Andrew West's Babel Pad
>
> http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html

As far as I can see, the “Encoding” menu in “Save As” in BabelPad has
just a small set of encodings to choose from, basically just UTF-8 and
UTF-16 and GP18030. There’s UTF-32 and SCSU too… the rest is not
encodings but file formats (ASCII encoding, with non-ASCII characters
represented using various escape notations, like \u1234 (“ASCII Plus
something”). But not even ISO-8859-1.

BabelPad is great as a Unicode editor, but it’s not particularly
oriented towards dealing with different encodings. And I think it’s
really better to use dedicated code converters rather than build a large
number of character code and encoding conversions into various
application programs.

Yucca