Re: texteditors that can process and save in different encodings

From: Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:06:48 +0600

On 16/10/2012, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> 2012-10-16 13:06, Christopher Fynn wrote:
>
>> On Windows I use Andrew West's Babel Pad
>>
>> http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html
>
> As far as I can see, the “Encoding” menu in “Save As” in BabelPad has
> just a small set of encodings to choose from, basically just UTF-8 and
> UTF-16 and GP18030. There’s UTF-32 and SCSU too… the rest is not
> encodings but file formats (ASCII encoding, with non-ASCII characters
> represented using various escape notations, like \u1234 (“ASCII Plus
> something”). But not even ISO-8859-1.

> BabelPad is great as a Unicode editor, but it’s not particularly
> oriented towards dealing with different encodings. And I think it’s
> really better to use dedicated code converters rather than build a large
> number of character code and encoding conversions into various
> application programs.

Babel Pad opens a lot more encodings than it Saves As
I usually have to convert from legacy encodings - not to them, so it
works for me

It also has a lot of other features which I find very useful.
I agree that if you have to do a lot of conversions from and to
different encodings then a dedicated code converter is probably
better.