Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark_at_kli.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 22:10:58 -0500

On 11/07/2012 02:08 PM, Christoph Päper wrote:
> Jörg Knappen:
>> The reason is that I just was trying to show the rating on a webpage
>> using the popular of 1 to 5 starts including half-coloured starts just using
>> UNicode characters.
>>
>> BLACK AND WHITE STAR
>> WHITE AND BLACK STAR
> In Dingbats, characters are mostly coded for their appearance, i.e. like you suggest. Would it be more useful to have some or all of the following, in a more semantic block?

We don't encode "it would be nice/useful." We encode *characters*,
glyphs that people use (yes, I know I conflated glyphs and characters
there.) There are many rating systems out there, yes, but we also don't
have to please everyone. I think half-stars see enough in-print usage
to make them worth considering, as characters, not as "ratings."
Unicode isn't a system for encoding ratings. It's a system for encoding
what people write and print.

~mark