Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper_at_crissov.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 20:08:17 +0100

Jörg Knappen:

> The reason is that I just was trying to show the rating on a webpage
> using the popular of 1 to 5 starts including half-coloured starts just using
> UNicode characters.
>
> BLACK AND WHITE STAR
> WHITE AND BLACK STAR

In Dingbats, characters are mostly coded for their appearance, i.e. like you suggest. Would it be more useful to have some or all of the following, in a more semantic block?

 HIGHEST RATING *****
 HIGHER RATING ****+
 HIGH RATING ****
 MID-HIGH RATING ***+
 MEDIUM RATING ***
 MID-LOW RATING **+
 LOW RATING **
 LOWER RATING *+
 LOWEST RATING *
 NO RATING

This way font designers could choose more freely how to display ratings, e.g. by thumb or arrow up or down, partially filled disc, tomato, five stars in the same space as 1 star …