Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 01:50:29 +0100

2012/11/12 Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>

> > rendering tomatoes or doughnuts or film reels as "glyph variants" of
> > stars,
>
> They should certainly **NOT** be treated as glyph variants of stars! Ever!

Who said that ? NOT me.

If you think so, this is a misinterpretation in what I said that the number
of ways to represent numeric gauges already has a lot of variations, and
once you start encoding some half-filled symbols, this will never find any
end : the usages already exist. and if this must be formally encoded as
plain-text, there are certainly better solutions to represent them in a
very generic way using some sequences (using combining characters seems
unlikely, but format controls is possible) : this will also have the
advantage of preserving the intending semantics (including for
collation/sorting purposes).

For now we have digits to represent numeric values in plain text and they
are enough. Pictograms are not needed in plain text.