RE: cp1252 decoder implementation

From: Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:52:50 +0000

IMO this isn't worth the effort being spent on it. MOST encodings have all sorts of interesting quirks, variations, OEM or App specific behavior, etc. These are a few code points that haven't really caused much confusion, and other code pages are much more confusing (like the CJK ones in particular).

I'd be much happier spending effort on getting apps to UTF-8 than trying to resolve esoteric quirks of legacy encodings. Even if you get that CP perfect, someone's gonna enter any of a bajillion characters on that page's HTML 5 web form that'll turn into ? at best.

-Shawn