Re: cp1252 decoder implementation

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 12:28:42 -0700

Buck Golemon wrote:

>> The status of these 5 characters is already in the best fit mappings
>> document pointed to by the IANA registry entry for windows-1252,
>> which is strong as I’m willing to go for them.
>
> I don't understand the relation between bestfit1252 and cp1252. Could
> you clarify it for me?
> If I read the mapping file right, bestfit1252 declares a definition of
> cp1252, so it would make sense (to me) if the corresponding parts of
> the two files matched.
> As far as I can see, the w3c-cp1252 corresponds to bestfit1252.

The best-fit mapping tables comprise not only an MBTABLE ("multibyte"),
which maps code points in the Microsoft code page to Unicode, but also a
WCTABLE ("wide character"), which maps in the other direction.

In this case, the MBTABLE in the 1252 best-fit table does match the
WHATWG definition of 1252—it's a rather obvious and straightforward
extension. But neither mapping table was derived directly from the
other, and the MBTABLE is an extension of 1252, not an attempt to
redefine it.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­