Re: Why 17 planes?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:28:13 +0100

Note that I ma not suggesting any "Unicode/10646-compatible framework" (or
even standard) and I have no project to define one myself. But there's
absolutely nothing that Unicode/ISO/IEC/10646 can forbid for such thing to
appear.

The only point of resistance will be when those other frameworks or
standards will want to be granted an allocation for a block of characters
in the current standard for supporting their extension in a standard
codepoints range, instead of in an existing PUA range like they can do
today as they want without asking your permission. Then the current policy
may be challenged according to its existing rules : demonstrated usage, and
an agreement about common properties. It will then be difficult to refuse
this non-PUA grant to them.

Other challenges will be:
- (1) to limit the current explosion of encoding requests for large sets of
pictograms (here again an external registry for pictograms using an
extension mechanims not requiring large block allocations in the current
standard, could be helpful),
- (2) and how to limit the proliferation of encodings in CJK blocks: some
encoding frameworks may need to appear to not encode each new signogram,
but a formal description of it (for now the IDS are insufficient), or an
extension mechanism like suggested with the external registry.

And even without changing anything to existing UTF's, strings of characters
taken from a smaller block in the supplementary planes may be used to
implement these large extensions (after all this is already what is
happening with hieroglyphs). Unicode for now describes this process as an
"upper layer protocol", but without integrating any one in its standard..
for now, which is still challenging for interoperability between these
upper layer protocols).