Re: data for cp1252

From: Norbert Lindenberg <unicode_at_norbertlindenberg.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:22:25 -0800

On Dec 7, 2012, at 17:48 , Buck Golemon wrote:

> It's also correct. *All* browsers have this behavior. The W3C has found this behavior to be correct. Opera at one point in time implemented the current unicode.org cp1252 spec, but was forced to change to the W3C spec by real-world requirements.

Correction: The W3C has not said anything on this matter. The proposed encoding specification was written by Anne under the WHATWG umbrella. The W3C Internationalization working group (of which I'm a member) and Anne met during TPAC 2012 in October and agreed to kick off the process of turning the spec into a W3C recommendation by publishing it as a working draft. It may well change somewhat on the way.

This discussion actually makes me think of one necessary change: The specification should clarify that it does not redefine existing encodings, and not label the mappings provided by the spec with existing encoding names. The spec is targeting web user agents, but the encodings are also used in many software systems that are not and don't directly interact with web user agents, and the spec shouldn't be interpreted to interfere with those uses.

Norbert