Re: io9 describes Unicode as one of the 10 most unlikely things influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 16:17:08 -0800

> Their inference, it appears, is that had I not read Tolkien when I was 13
I would not be who I am today and the content of the Universal Character
Set might be a lot different than it is.

I doubt it.

Many people are far more responsible for the structure, model, properties,
and characters of Unicode, including not only those who belong to the
Unicode consortium, but also those in the IRG, those in ISO, and those who
originally developed the international, national, and vendor encoding
standards that Unicode built upon.

Unicode characters, measured by frequency of usage on the web, would be
essentially the same had Michael not been around. That would not be the
case without people like Ken Whistler, Joe Becker, Lee Collins, Lisa Moore,
Michel Suignard, or Asmus Freytag: I could go on, but there are far to many
to name. Nor would Unicode have been a success without the many people who
worked in different companies to build the infrastructure necessary for its
use, or the staff behind the scenes working in the Unicode Consortium.

Michael has made many valuable contributions to Unicode, especially for
minority and historic scripts. And he can be rightfully proud of the work
he has done there. But neither should that work be exaggerated.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*