Re: Character name translations

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 02:12:55 +0100

2012/12/20 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>

> So I think this would be the real challenge: to define names for such
> Unicode characters that are relevant and for which suitable common names
> are available or can be formed. But as such, lists of names have little
> impact unless they become known and accepted and used. This is why it would
> be much more important to name, say, 50 commonly used characters that have
> no well-established name in a language than to spend time in naming 5,000
> characters.

I also agree : for the examplar characters used to write a language, if
they have names, these names will be used. For the rest, the other names
will more or less be a facsimile of known characters. And some terminology
used in Unicode is perfectly translatable, even if they are not complely
unique once translated. Some Unicode names were also mere transliterations
of names used n another language, though imprecise : the source language is
probably more precise and less approximative.

Given the form of these names in the UCD, most of them could be translated
automatically using a common dictionnary and resolving some terminologies
that are approximative in Unicode.

But translated names should not be capitalized and not restricted to plain
ASCII (including in US English, that is not really the human language used
in standard names of the UCD but names in a computer language like in the
default "C" locale).