RE: UCA and Russian letter Ё

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua_at_xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 23:04:14 +0100

Joe, Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:48:47 -0800:

>> Fact is, again, that ёлка - "in the wild" - can be written ёлка and елка
>
> Though you need a better dictionary: it's the diminutive of ель (as
> in Yel'tsin) meaning "fir tree", and is the 4-letter word for
> "Christmas tree".

The dictionary of Dal,[1] says: «Ель, ели́на, умал. ёлка [snip]», which
ought to mean that ёлка is a diminutive of ель. My impression is the
same as yours with regard to the Christmas tree/New year tree meaning,
but many dictionaries do list "fir tree" as the primary meaning of ёлка
and Christmas/New year tree as a secondary meaning.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Dal

С праздником!

--
leif halvard silli