Re: When the reader enters the digital space for writing, he participates in the unending ballet between characters and glyphs

From: Karl Williamson <public_at_khwilliamson.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:09:48 -0700

On 12/23/2012 01:45 AM, Erkki I Kolehmainen wrote:
> I agree with Yucca. I don't agree with your implication that "good faith" can justify anything and everything.

I did not imply that.

Nor am I willing to let this thread die without some more explanation.
I am not willing to be silent when what I perceive to be bullying is
expressed on this list. This should be a safe place for any newbie to
post. I found an unwarranted aggressiveness in Jukka's response to
Roger's apparently well-intentioned post.

unicode.org is based in the USA. As another poster said, this quotation
would be considered fair use under USA law. Quoting like this is
extremely common in USA writings.

The post uses only US-ASCII. I'm sure that Jukka knows that US-ASCII
does not have an EM dash. The standard I was taught in school (in the
USA) was to represent an EM dash in such situations precisely as the
original post does, as a sequence of two hyphen-minuses.

I do not believe that either the EM dash nor the miscapitalization of a
word constitute "distorting the text", and I find it difficult to
believe that Jukka really does either. Therefore I believe that Jukka
was not being honest in his response to the post; it appears to me that
he concealed the real reason he objects to it.

I could be wrong, and perhaps there are cultural differences between the
USA and Finland that are being unconsciously expressed here. But I can
tell you that as a native USA English speaker, I found nothing wrong
with the original post. And I found Jukka's response objectionable.