Re: help with an unknown character

From: Elbrecht <sirfonts_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:13:18 +0100

Looks like I have to help myself -

        http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pm-notation/

        "read as ‘the’; is the inverted iota or description operator and is used in expressions for definite descriptions, such as (x)φx (which is read: the x such that φx)."

That's definitely not my cup of tea, but the author Eberhard Conze remembers: "I then [1926/27] moved on to Kiel, only to find that [Prof. Heinrich] Scholz had succumbed to the craze for modern logic, which has dogged my footsteps ever since." (Conze Memoirs Part I, p. 8)

        [Scholz was pioneering modern logic in Germany at the time the "principia mathematica" 2nd was published.]

That's it - maybe?

HE

# # #

On Jan 15, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Herbert Elbrecht <elbrecht_at_mac.com> wrote:

> 2) What about U+2129 TURNED GREEK SMALL LETTER IOTA then? To me it looks like an erratic character encoded for backward compatibility only - LETTERLIKE SYMBOLS is not the block I would/did look for logical symbols. Why is U+2129 encoded this way - what's it's history? Is it reaching back to the 1930s - what was it used for and in what context? The glyph on the book title could be meant to symbolize U+2129 only - the printer just had to help himself with what his character set was like…
>
> Any idea?
> HE

# # #

名 非 〇