Re: Spiral symbol

From: Frédéric Grosshans <frederic.grosshans_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:00:54 +0100

Le 22/01/2013 01:11, Andrés Sanhueza a écrit :
> I have wondered if it may be a good idea to make a proposal to an
> "spiral" character,
You might be interested by this 2011 thread on the mailing list, which
was about the way do encode symbols :
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2011-m11/0061.html . The
thread was fairly complete.

> basically because I believe is the only mayor symbol recurrently used
> for represent "swearing" in comics that's missing from Unicode. Most
> of the time it is replaced with the more common at (@), but still an
> actual one may be good. Not sure yet if there's enough documentation.
> Some Emoji representations displays the CYCLONE character (U+1F300) as
> one, yet I don't think that fits as a better replacement.

These kind of symbols are apparently called grawlixes in (see
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/grawlix and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lexicon_of_Comicana ) and obscenicons
(see http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3135 and
http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2011/03/grawlix.html ).

You have a nice discussion with samples here
http://www.statoids.com/comicana/grawlist.html (which contains implicit
argument for plain text.) If you look at the sample, and to some google
search, you'll find that many obsenicons are encoded @#!?☠$⚹★☆💥⛤ but
not all.

Among the most common ones, the spiral, the saturn-like planet, the
empty asterisk are missing. They are included in some comics fonts, like
MarkerMan. (http://www.haroldsfonts.com/marker.html , coded as {|}~) and
Potty Mouth ( http://www.blambot.com/font_pottymouth.shtml ).

I think (at least) these three symbols could be encoded, if someone
takes the time to write a proper proposal.

By the way, there was a brief discussion in 2010 about others comics
specific characters (breath marks and crossbar I)
http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2010-m12/0025.html , also
mentioned here
http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml and here
http://www.balloontales.com/tips/characters/index.html and here