Re: Long-term archiving of electronic text documents

From: Otto Stolz <otto.stolz_at_uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:06:16 +0100

Hello,

am 28.01.2013 schrieb William_J_G Overington:
> The idea is that there would be an additional UTF format, perhaps UTF-64,
> so that each character would be expressed in UTF-64 notation using 64 bits,
> thus providing error checking and correction facilities at a character level.

We have already the UTF-32, where every 21-bit character takes 32 bits.
So there is plenty of unused space that could be used for error checking
on the character levl, if so ever would be desired.

Of course, a format that carries additional information in the
otherwise ‘unused’ bits does not comply with the UTF-32 specs;
so, if that idea would ever materialise, it would have to sail
under new colours.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz