Re: Public Review Issue 232 Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm (Copy of email sent to the list; also posted by me to unicode feedback/public review issue-- but this has not yet posted there)

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:36:50 -0800

> I don't think dashes should be mirrored at all however. (Many of my
> dashes -- for example these -- are quite symmetrical; but others are
> not -- I sometimes have a closing dash and sometimes not; but Emily
> Dickinson is really the expert on the use of the dash:
> http://mith.umd.edu//WomensStudies/ReadingRoom/Poetry/Dickinson/god-gave-a-loaf.
> There's no real reason for mirroring these.)

Btw I've /once/ seen directional dashes, in a book of Luciano Canepari.
He has a good sense of semantics, in addition to his good phonetic ear
:-) , and he does his own things in terms of punctuation anyways, but I
very much like it and his ideas. His usage is to have differential
spacing -- like this -- or --like this-- (I forgot which). Dunno how
common that is in the world's typographic traditions.

About the Emily Dickinson text: parenthetical dashes are in English
almost never adjacent to commas (as if there were a constraint against
such juxtaposition), though in German one can have a comma after the
closing component of a parenthetical dash pair (with no space in
between, btw). So those next to commas are dashes of omission or
hesitation and not parenthetical ones. Dashes of omission or hesitation
aren't paired. (Your quote above implies you're talking about paired
dashes, and I'm saying that the poem you linked to has lots of
non-parenthetical dashes.)

Stephan