Re: Public Review Issue 232 Proposed Update UAX #9, Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm (Copy of email sent to the list; also posted by me to unicode feedback/public review issue-- but this has not yet posted there)

From: John D. Burger <john_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:12:52 -0500

Stephan Stiller wrote:

>> I sometimes have a closing dash and sometimes not
>
> And let's not forget that one often has what is semantically a pair of parenthetical dashes, either the opening or the closing component of which is eaten up by the beginning or the end of the sentence, resp. These punctuation rules are rarely made explicit, if ever but they are pervasively applied.
>
> (And, replace "--" by "" in my prev email.)

These sorts of "absorption" rules are discussed in great detail in Geoffrey Nunberg's "The Linguistics of Punctuation", which I highly recommend for anyone interested in this and related issues.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Linguistics_of_Punctuation.html?id=Sh-sruuKjJwC

- John Burger
  MITRE