Re: Case-folding dotted i

From: David Starner <prosfilaes_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:32:41 -0800

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Joó Ádám <adam_at_jooadam.hu> wrote:
>> Blame the invention of the dot over the i, or the convention of omitting it
>> when adding accents, or the adoption much later of a specifically dotless i
>> into the Turkish alphabet...
>
> Or the invention of a soft accent, for that matter. If the dot would
> be explicitly encoded in all cases, no problem would arise.

What do you mean "no problem would arise"? ASCII would have been
unimplementable if they had tried to insist that the dot be explicitly
encoded. That whole view is putting Turkish and a couple minor cases
over the rest of the users of the Latin alphabet, where i naturally
uppercases to I, whether i be dotted or undotted. (Really; it's not
common typography except in fi ligatures, but fancy fonts wouldn't
hesitate to leave it out, and English speakers wouldn't miss a beat
reading a text without dots over the eyes.)

--
Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.