Re: s-j combination in Unicode?

From: Buck Golemon <buck_at_yelp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:58:39 -0800

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 2/13/2013 1:24 PM, Stephan Stiller wrote:
>

>> It looks like something that has not been encoded.
>>>

>> What is the reason for not having a true "combining grapheme joiner", one
>> that overlays graphemes? Or a code point that instructs that the preceding
>> (or following, I guess) code point should be printed at this position but
>> otherwise be treated as having zero width?
>>

> The reason is that Unicode is not a text layout language.
>
> A./

That addresses his second quesiton, but not the first.

A grapheme combining character would only be usable if a normalized
combined character was also defined, and the mapping between the combined
characters and the un-combined characters with combiner. In other words
adding such a thing wouldn't solve the problem you've posed (adding a
combined sj character) since combining characters are (as I understand it)
intended to be ephemeral and only fully combined characters are inteneded
for communications.