Re: s-j combination in Unicode?

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 00:43:05 -0800

On 2/17/2013 12:30 AM, Stephan Stiller wrote:

> But I have to ask one more thing:
>> Since the latter is expected to be rare, I personally would be
>> comfortable with making a code point for it, so that fonts like this,
>> which are actually used, can be mapped to Unicode w/o forcing people
>> into weird fallbacks over a rare character.
> Why would that be so? I thought your normal way of doing things is
> require attestation of a particular usage. If a character is more
> frequent, it's more likely we're convinced of its being used in a
> particular way.

Law of diminishing returns.

I think it's a waste of everybody's time to even contemplate forcing
"fallback" transformations (which are a pain to program) when perfectly
straightforward capital form can be deduced, and has been deduced (at
least by font creators - we don't know what user requests they based
their work on).

Casing irregularities are expensive compared to adding a code point for
a rare character.

A./