Re: s-j combination in Unicode?

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:51:46 +0000

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:08:24 -0800
Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/2013 7:04 AM, Andries Brouwer wrote:

>> I found Diauni.ttf at
>> http://www.thesauruslex.com/typo/dialekt.htm (swedish)
>> http://www.thesauruslex.com/typo/engdial.htm (english)

>> It has landmålsalfabetet at E100-E197 (lower case only)
>> and s-j at E19F, S-J at E1A5,...

> So you have evidence that the uppercase form is implemented, if not
> yet a citation of actual use.

> Since the latter is expected to be rare, I personally would be
> comfortable with making a code point for it,...

There are several cases where one might wonder whether a lower case
letter used in words is actually anything but a glyph variant, but an
upper case letter has nevertheless been created; in several cases the
evidence presented for the typical upper case form seems to have been
Michael Everson's taste. Given those precedents, the only argument I
can see against an upper case s-j would be evidence that it does not
change form when capitalised. If my memory serves me right, it is the
lower casing that Unicode cannot correct; if s-j uppercased to S-J when
first encoded, the untailored uppercasing could still be changed to the
2-character string SJ if that turned out to be the majority use.

Richard.