Re: pIqaD in actual use

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:41:54 +0100

2013/3/3 Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>:
> On 3 Mar 2013, at 12:06, john knightley <john.knightley_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When translating from one language to another there are always some words and expressions for which there exists no exact equivalents.

The vocabulary related to fantasy, and magic things look very foreign
to Klingon's logical structure of thinking. You would need to
translate them as "not logical", "not concludable", "not asserted",
"missing axiom".

Even things like "beatutiful", being highly subjective, would have
little meaning because the only beautiful thing in Klingon's spirit is
the logic of things and the necessity : what is beautiful for them is
the reduced set of axioms, and the absence of contradictions. Matters
of opinions, and feath, are not beautiful for them, but order and
predictability is beautiful (even if there are admitted freedoms in
their world : randomness and chaos is then beautiful).

In their vocabulary, "I love you" makes no sense, they can just
understand "I need you". As they also "like" the order of things, they
like ceremonials, because they are enacted by past agreements (and an
agreement cannot be repudiated). This gives their sense of "honor".

The Alice's Wonderland would be extremely difficult to describe with
recognized words, except being part of what they just consider as
"randomness" and unpredictable. In this meaning they would not respect
what is common to humans, and may be a reson why they don't care at
all about humans and their spirituality or dreams. For them, humans
are just freely adjustable variables, and removing them has no special
impact, unless they need them for respecting their mutual pacts and
goals of action, and for preserving their own life (more exactly the
life of their community, supposed to be eternal by axiom).