Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:41:41 -0700

On 3/22/2013 4:02 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> 2013/3/22 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
>> "Semantic" selectors are pure pseudo-coding, because if the semantic
>> differentiation is needed it is needed in plain text - and then it should be
>> expressible in plain character codes.
>>
> We don't disagree, that's exactly what I meant here : plain character
> codes for expresssing the semantics, even if many renderers or
> collators will treat them as ignorable.

No, we do disagree.

The Unicode model is to have all information about character identity
(what you call "semantics") into the character code, not into a sequence
of character and "ignorable" attributes.

Separating the identity of the character into attributes would be
something very novel and best not attempted.

A./