Re: Rendering Raised FULL STOP between Digits

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:01:51 -0700

On 3/22/2013 4:08 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> 2013/3/22 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
>> If you need to annotate text with the results of semantic analysis as
>> performed by a human reader, then you either need XML, or some other format
>> that can express that particular intent.
> Absolutely NO. If this encodes semantics, this is part of plain text,

I think we are on a different page here. In some ways the Unicode term
"semantics" is very misleading in this context. What Unicode means by
this fancy term is the character's identity - not it's use.

If you use a colon to mark abbreviation (as in Swedish) you are using a
colon - the use may be very different from how a colon is used
elsewhere, but it does not create a new character.

Unicode does not encode the semantics of a sentence or word, but
provides a string of characters of known identity that lets a human
reader determine the semantics of that sentence or word as unambiguously
as if that sentence had been reproduced by analog means - that's, in a
nutshell, what Unicode attempts to do.

> and not part of an upper layer protocol. Notably these characters
> should be used to alter de default (ambiguous) character properties of
> the characters they modify, and notably to give them the semantics
> needed for existing Unicode algorithms (general categories:
> punctuation, diacritic; word-breaking properties...)

Character properties define the *default* behavior of a given
character. There are many examples, especially in the context of
punctuation where a character can have different uses. Each use may need
a different treatment by readers (or algorithms).

To handle some behaviors, you may need complex processing (natural
language processing) that mimics what a human reader can do.

There are a few exceptions where characters are disunified based on
properties - the most principled of these involve properties that can't
be modified, such as the bidi property. There are about a dozen
characters that look entirely alike (by design and derivation) yet have
been disunified based on bidi properties - because bidi properties
cannot be overridden.

There are a few other cases, usually where a character can be both
letter and punctuation where such disunifications were made based on
overridable properties. Here the reason was that this distinction has
such a wide reach (and hat to be applied by many basic algorithms) that
breaking the principle of single character identity can be justified.

If a problem is sufficiently severe, then you'd possibly have
justification to disunify. If not, then the answer would be outside the
scope of character encoding.

> adding new variants of existing characters like what was done
> specifically for maths is not a stabl long term solution; solutions
> similar to variant selectors however are much more meaningful, and
> will allow for example to make the distinction between a MIDDLE DOT
> punctuation and an ANO TELEIA, and will also allow them to be rendered
> differently (even if there's no requirement to do so).
>
> This is absolutely not "pseudo-coding".

"Pseudo coding" refers to making distinctions between characters not on
their basic encoding, but by means of "attributes" such as the selectors
you are suggesting.