Re: Azerbaijani Manat Symbol

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 03:02:41 +0200

If you want an official representation of the Manat symbol glyph, you may
look at this page of the Azeri Central Bank site:

http://www.cbar.az/pages/national-currency/commemorative-coins/1992-2012/

(look at the bottom od the page on the commemorative silver coin of 5 manat
for the 20th anniversary of the Republic of Azerbaijan.)

It seems that the development of this symbol was slow because, until
recently, it did not appear on any coin or banknote, where only the word
"MANAT" was printed or minted.

But now 20 years after the independance, and 11 years after the
introduction of the new AZN currency, it seems that the symbol starts being
used and endorsed officially, by the government as well as the population.
The symbol was advertized as well by the Central bank in 2008, when it was
shown on the front page of its official website. Also the New Manat is now
the sole currency having legal tender in Azerbaijan since mid-2012 (before
that, it coexisted with the Old Manat, for which the Manat symbol was not
designed).