Re: Bug?: Not able to type పయోఽంబు.... (Telugu)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 09:43:31 +0200

Or may be the dotted cicle is mapped in that font to a null glyph (non
standard feature). I can't check that, I dont have this Pothan2000 font.

My opinion is that Uniscribe does not handle correctly the sequences where
the anusvara U+0C02 (shown here with the visible dotted circle) follows the
avagraha Sanskrit sign U+0C3D (the latter was supposed to follow only a
consonnant cluster+optional dependant matras). I can't see any description
of the expected behavior for this case in
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otfntdev/teluguot/shaping.htm

It is not clear in OpenType specs how the Anusvara=Sunna U+0C02 sign will
behave in the shaping engine (but this is also true for the
Candrabindu=Arasunna U+0C01 and the Visarga U+0C03 signs).

The specs only discusses about clusters of consonnants, halants and vowels,
plus the special Akhand subclusters, optionally followed by "SM - a stress
or tone mark (e.g. Udatta, Anudatta, Acute, Grave)" or "LM - a length
mark". And I'm not convinced about where the four signs U+0C01..U+0C03 and
U+0C3D will fit in the documented character categories.

Apparently their expected behavior is not specified, the shaping engine has
its own internal rules to decide when to insert a dotted circle or not
before these four signs. But this does not require any OpenType feature in
fonts, the shaping engine will just look for the mapping of the dotted
circle glyph, and will insert it according to its own rules.

-- should the Anusvara behave like a postbase consonnant ? should there be
a "psts" feature in fonts to support the Anusvara correctly (even ifit's
not a consonnant or vowel matra) ?

But similar cases occur in some other Indic scripts that use prebase or
postbase modifier signs that are not consonnants or vowel matras.