Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:04:00 +0100

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Marshallese uses the letters L/l, M/m, N/n, and O/o with cedilla.
>
> The Ad Hoc http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2013/13128-latvian-marshal-adhoc.pdf
> concluded that encoding
> LATIN CAPITAL LETTER MARSHALLESE L WITH CEDILLA
> LATIN SMALL LETTER MARSHALLESE L WITH CEDILLA
> LATIN CAPITAL LETTER MARSHALLESE N WITH CEDILLA
> LATIN SMALL LETTER MARSHALLESE N WITH CEDILLA
> would cause the least architectural disruption and would be the best
> way to proceed.
>
> How can that be the best way?
> How would one rationalize using one diacritic U+0327 with M/m and O/o
> but not with L/l and N/n in Marshallese?
> A single combining diacritic to use with Marshallese L/l, M/m, N/n and
> O/o would be easier to deal with.
> It would require less new characters to be encoded and would make it
> easier to support in fonts (adding 1 instead of 4).
> It would also be easier to implement on keyboard layouts (same
> behaviour four all Marshallese letters with cedilla instead of 2
> different behaviours) .

Furthermore, the cedilla can also have a proper cedilla form as
opposed to the Latvian or Livonian comma below form in transliteration
systems.
ALA-LC romanizations use cedilla with r as they do under c or s.
BGN/PCGN and UNGEGN romanizations use cedilla with d as they do under
h, s, t or z.
DIN 1460-2 uses the cedilla under d, k, l, n as it does under c, h, s, t and z.

If the 4 Marshallese cedilla characters are encoded as single
characters, does this mean the d, k, l, r with proper cedilla in those
romanizations would also have to be encoded as single characters?
Encoding 1 combining diacritic character is more efficient than
encoding 12 characters.
Note: I am not aware of a g cedilla with a proper cedilla.

UNGEGN (Arabic): http://www.eki.ee/wgrs/
ALA-LC (Non-slavic languages: Romani): http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/roman.html
BGN/PCGN (Arabic): http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/romanization.html

--