Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 09:12:30 +0100

On 19 Jun 2013, at 07:54, Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Marshallese uses the letters L/l, M/m, N/n, and O/o with cedilla.
>
> The Ad Hoc http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2013/13128-latvian-marshal-adhoc.pdf
> concluded that encoding
> LATIN CAPITAL LETTER MARSHALLESE L WITH CEDILLA
> LATIN SMALL LETTER MARSHALLESE L WITH CEDILLA
> LATIN CAPITAL LETTER MARSHALLESE N WITH CEDILLA
> LATIN SMALL LETTER MARSHALLESE N WITH CEDILLA
> would cause the least architectural disruption and would be the best
> way to proceed.
>
> How can that be the best way?

It treads most lightly on the existing data.

> How would one rationalize using one diacritic U+0327 with M/m and O/o but not with L/l and N/n in Marshallese?

The same way one would rationalize using precomposed ãẽĩñõũỹ (aeinouy with tilde) but a necessarily de-composed g̃ (g with tilde) in Guaraní.

> A single combining diacritic to use with Marshallese L/l, M/m, N/n and O/o would be easier to deal with.

It would introduce yet another confusability problem.

> It would require less new characters to be encoded and would make it easier to support in fonts (adding 1 instead of 4).

No! Because if you added a single new character you'd have to make sure you had good glyph placement with LlMmNnOo which is eight glyphs.

> It would also be easier to implement on keyboard layouts (same behaviour four all Marshallese letters with cedilla instead of 2 different behaviours) .

First off, what does a Marshallese keyboard look like anyway? Second, well, maybe, but I am still convinced that this is the best solution. Keyboards aren't that hard to implement. It's interesting what to do in an internationalized situation. One might implement a keyboard that followed the glyph (cedilla or comma below) rather than the underlying encoding for instance.