Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:37:33 +0100

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:36:16 +0100
Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2013, at 13:41, Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > If we don't want additional confusing characters maybe we should
> > have CGJ, ZWJ or ZWNJ + combining cedilla (or any other similar
> > sequence) to optionally differentiate the types of cedillas in
> > Latvian, Livonian, Marshallese and romanizations.
>
> We can't really use these with combining diacritical marks.

It does remind me of the distinction between German umlaut marks and
diaereses, for which CGJ was the solution. There's a similar problem
with the distinction in dictionaries between Nenets U+0438 CYRILLIC
SMALL LETTER I plus combining breve to shorten it and the Nenets use of
the semivowel U+0439 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER SHORT I.

Richard.