Re: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 22:05:02 +0200

He probably wants to say that Windows itself cannot use webfonts for its
own display or in applications. Unlike what you can do online within
browsers.
One solution: use online applications that can deliver webfonts. But why
cannot applications instaleld locally use as well webfonts (that will be
managed in a cache, like in browser, and downloaded and installed on
demand, from a web domain name approved by the application?
This way WinWord (just an example) running locally would have the same
fonts as those you can have online.

Time to extend the local store in Windows\\Fonts, to include support for
approved webfont providers (in that case Windows\Fonts may be restricted by
application, and would use a cache separate from local fonts, these fonts
would also be updated more easily). You could also have links to webfont
providers in your own organization (useful for news agencies or web design
agencies), or users would also add an open webfonts provider online, and
there would also be font sellers offering some fonts or fonts with
limitations (e.g. only ASCII and some other Latin1 punctuation), than those
you could get with a subscription or payment from the same provider. Of
course the providers should be secured.

Suppose you receive a document from someone, and you don't have the fonts
installed, the webfonts providers would include a search engine and would
try to locate it. it would install that font in the local cache. The
document would become immediately usable, witjout having to embed the font
itself in every doc of a collection from the same source.