RE: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 17:41:34 +0000

It's not clear to me what you're asking, or why you are asserting that "there is no way to show Unicode contents on Windows". All text display in Windows uses Unicode. To my knowledge, Windows 8 has built-in text display support that covers more of Unicode than any other widely-available OS, and it is being extended in Windows 8.1, available in preview now.

Scripts supported in Windows 8.1 include:
- Europe & Mideast scripts: Arabic, Armenian, Cyrillic, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Syriac
- East / North Asian scripts: Han, Hiragana, Katakana, Korean (including Old Hangul conjoining jamo), Lisu, Mongolian, Yi
- South Asian scripts: Bangla, Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Malayalam, Odia, Sinhala, Tamil, Telugu, Thaana, Tibetan
- Southeast Asian scripts: Buginese, Javanese, Khmer, Lao, Myanmar, New Tai Lue, Ol Chiki, Sora Sompeng, Tai Le, Thai
- African scripts: Ethiopic, N'Ko, Osmanya, Tifinagh, Vai
- North American scripts: Canadian Syllabics, Cherokee, Deseret
- Archaic scripts (various regions): Coptic, Glagolitic, Gothic, Meroitic Cursive, Ogham, Old Italic, Orkhon, Phags-pa, Runic
- Other: Braille, broad symbol coverage (including color emoji font support)

Many people running older versions of Windows aren't aware of the level of Unicode support. You can find details spanning versions since Windows 2000 here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688099.aspx

For simple scripts that do not require shaping that are not yet supported, if you have the font and can select the font in your app, then text in those scripts can be displayed. Of course, we don't have built-in font fallback for such scripts.

Peter