Re: Unicode code page and ☃.net

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 07:29:40 +0300

2013-07-30 4:03, Buck Golemon wrote:

> Also, some browsers have odd support for rendering unicode (non-ascii)
> urls, for "security" reasons.
> Both chrome and firefox under Windows 7 render http://www.%e2%98%83.net/
> <http://www.xn--n3h.net/> as http://www.xn--n3h.net/ which is the ascii
> domain encoding (called punycode or idna) of the snowman unicode character.

That’s something that happens after the user has pressed the Enter key
to visit the page.

If you just cut and paste the URL into the address box, the SNOWMAN
character should be visible there, provided that the system has a font
containing it. Windows 7 ships with Segoe UI Symbol version 5, which
contains SNOWMAN. And ☃ appears when I cut and past http://www.%e2%98%83.net/
into the address box of IE, Firefox, or Chrome.

So I can’t tell why it is empty (no character? a space? an empty
rectangle?) in some situation. Theoretically at least, it is possible
that the system contains a faulty font that has a glyph for SNOWMAN but
the glyph is empty.

What happens when the user presses the Enter key is a story at a
different protocol level.

Yucca