Re: polytonic Greek: diacritics above long vowels á¾±, á¿‘, á¿¡

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 01:39:24 +0100

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 15:27:08 -0700
Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/4/2013 2:59 PM, Richard Wordingham wrote:
> > The CLDR does not yet support Ancient Greek! [...] Vowels with
> > plain COMBINING BREVE and COMBINING MACRON don't make to the list
> > of auxiliary exemplar characters for Modern Greek.
> This is a non-sequitur; why would they for Modern Greek (Dimotiki),
> and how would that have exemplary/precedential bearing for Ancient
> Greek?

Most of the polytonic precomposed vowels are in the auxiliary exemplars
for Modern Greek. One doesn't use the vowels with breve and macron for
writing Ancient Greek in plain text; one uses them for writing about
it. It depends on what criteria get applied for the CLDR entry. A
CLDR entry could get rather silly when deciding on the Attic, Ionic
and Doric Greek for Yoruba and !Xu - Cambodia's going to be bad
enough. Do we look for the Ancient Greek representation of Kambuja?

Richard.