Re: [WhatsApp Support] Your Request: Windows Phone Client 2.10.523(ticket #7044796)

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 09:40:36 +0100

Pradeep,

The Unicode Consortium and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 defined a set of "Regional Indicator symbols" (basically a special coded form of the letters A-Z) and when two of those come together like CN or GB, the Chinese or UK flag can be displayed, if the font vendor supports a single flag glyph for those sequences.

In the case of the WhatsApp implementation, the font vendor is Apple.