Re: [WhatsApp Support] Your Request: Windows Phone Client 2.10.523(ticket #7044796)

From: Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 12:20:20 +0600

I think the idea of encoding "regional identifiers" instead of actual
flags was to avoid a political minefield, and that flags change over
time. (Afghanistan has haad something like 20 different flags) I also
imagine PR China wouldn't be too happy if someone wanted to encode a
Tibetan flag. You're also right about things like sporting events
where England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have seperate
teams, etc. Still, the use of flags as identifiers is common on the
web, at international confrences to identify delegates and so on.
With the arrival of colored fonts (supported in Windows 8.1) I suspect
people will inevitably try and make use of these characters - in spite
of all the current limitations you have pointed out.

I guess someone could come up with a private registry, similar to the
ConScript registry, where ways of encoding all kinds of symbols (e.g.
FC logos) using these identifiers could be listed.