Re: _Unicode_code_page_and_?.net

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:24:31 +0300

2013-08-06 9:38, Christopher Fynn wrote:

> I wonder why so many servers, database applications, and so on, _still_
> don't install with Unicode (in some encoding format) as the *default*
> installation option.

There are probably several reasons, but one obvious reason is this: if
the default encoding is set to UTF-8, it will mess things up when data
is produced in windows-1252 or iso-8859-1 format (which is what many
tools produce, sometimes as the only option).

I’ve seen it happen that web server admins set, with good intentions, a
server to announce Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8, usually
without informing web page authors, possibly without giving them any
option to change this.

This can be rather frustrating to people who have no need for character
repertoires beyond windows-1252 or who at least think they don’t

Yucca