Re: polytonic Greek: diacritics above long vowels á¾±, á¿‘, á¿¡

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:06:50 +0100

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 19:27:56 +0200
Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> But there's an admitted exception : sorting with UCA may change the
> relative order between the source strings, simply because sort
> stability is not always wanted (it has a cost), and binary sorting
> the results using the code point values as an additional collation
> level is not always wanted, and normalization remains optional in
> UCA.

No, unless you are observing that the ordering of canonically
equivalent output in a sorted list is undefined. (Strings that
compare 'equal' may appear in either order.) An implementation of the
UCA may neglect to normalise, but then it should only be used when
normalisation is unnecessary.

There is another, obscure type of conforming process - those that do
casing operations by the rules. The rules fail to preserve canonical
equivalence, though in some such cases it is arguable that neither
result is linguistically correct. For example, I think the proper
upper-casing of <U+1FB3 GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA WITH YPOGEGRAMMENI,
U+0359 COMBINING ASTERISK BELOW> is <U+0391 GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA,
U+0359, U+0196 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER IOTA, U+0359>. I don't expect this
ever to be captured by the default casing.

Richard.